Monday, November 13, 2006

The NY Times Said God Is Dead

I woke up this dreary Washington, D.C. morning to the sound of Elton John's song Levon. One set of lyrics stood as I was getting dressed:
He was born a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas day
When the New York Times said God is dead
Pretty powerful huh? On a personal note the song brings back memories of my father teaching my brother family member's birthday dates. My father, having been born on Christmas, gave my brother the hint that he was born on the day the NY Times said God was dead. Well, my poor brother ended up crying his little heart out. A good Catholic boy doesn't want to hear that God is dead!
The lyrics to the Elton John stuck with me as I walked to work today and passed the Hungarian embassy. The Hungarians have a banner out celebrating their revolution of 1956. The banner read in bold letters "Communism defeated." I thought immediately back to the song and realized that for a long time communism was the biggest threat against religion and God. My generation tends to easily forget the dangers the Soviet Union presented to the West.
Sadly that threat still exists when I saw this story concerning a China sub over at Drudge. The communist threat is still alive. China is preparing to challenge American authority around the world. Only if we will maintain the resolve of past generations will be be able to fly banners like the one I saw on the Hungarian embassy.
(As a side note I must also mention that perhaps Elton John himself wouldn't mind if God was dead!)
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"--Ronald Reagan