Friday, June 30, 2006

I guess our old friend in tights will have to put down that flag and
pick up the banner of the United Nations instead.


Is Superman no longer American?

Truth, Justice, and the American Way: Those are the ideals that I grew up thinking Superman represented.

Now I find out I was only partially right... with the first two words. According to the article the director of the new Superman flick that is now in theaters disagrees that Superman is American.

The Sad Money Quote of the Article:
"The world has changed. The world is a different place," Pennsylvania native Harris says. "The truth is he's an alien. He was sent from another planet. He has landed on the planet Earth, and he is here for everybody. He's an international superhero."

Okay, let me get this straight.

Superman is an alien (let's say "immigrant").

Superman stands for protecting humanity and fighting for justice.

Superman is selfless and giving.


I truly believe that those characteristics are American.


Regardless of what some liberal types might say when I watch the Superman flick this weekend I will be cheering on an American superhero.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"--Ronald Reagan